The skills you will gain:
- Preparing treatment rooms for patient examinations
- Interviewing patients to find out medical information
- Taking and measuring vital signs, weight, and height
- Assisting physicians during patient exams
- Recording important information in patients’ medical records
- Using emergency first aid
The career options you will have:
Most of our CMA graduates go on to work full time alongside physicians as their assistants. You can also go on to be a phlebotomy or EKG technician, which are more specialized training areas.
The credentials you will earn:
As a Philadelphia Job Corps student, you will have the opportunity to earn credentials in your career training area. This will set you apart from others in your field and may lead to greater employment opportunities, higher wages, and promotions.
In the Certified Medical Assistant training program, you will earn nationally recognized credentials from the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) and a state-issued credential/license.
- National Healthcare Association certification (CCMA)
The requirements you need to start training:
- Complete the core Job Corps curriculum with passing scores on all written and performance tests.
- Meet basic academic requirements in math and reading.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Need help meeting one or more of these requirements? Don’t worry! At Philadelphia Job Corps, our staff will be with you every step of the way to make sure you have all the tools and resources you need to check those boxes and start your training.
Meet Your Instructors:
is a full-time teacher with Philadelphia Job Corps Center. Her educational background is in psychology and nursing, and her specialities range from cardiac prevention, home health travel, and emergency and operating rooms to medical surgery and clinical education. Her roles in these fields have provided her with experience and insight into career skills and studies, and how to teach in a classroom setting.
When it comes time to get a job, our staff will make sure you are connected with local employers. Philadelphia Job Corps Medical Assistant grads have been hired by these featured companies and organizations:
- St. Christopher’s Hospital
- Spectrum Health Services
- Action Wellness
looking to hire workers with on-the-job training?