The skills you will gain:
- Basic tool and equipment techniques
- Inspecting and cleaning preparation areas
- Preparing food
- Storing food
- Rotating food stock
The career options you will have:
Most of our Culinary Arts graduates go to work full time for restaurants, catering services, or institutions, such as schools, hospitals, or cafeterias. A typical workday might look like:
- Being a part of a team.
- Working under tight and quick deadlines.
- Spending the workday on your feet.
- Working shifts in the morning, late at night, on the weekends, and some holidays.
The credentials you will earn:
As a Job Corps student, you will have the opportunity to earn credentials in your area. This will set you apart from others in your field and may lead to greater employment opportunities, higher wages, and promotions.
The Culinary Arts training program falls under in the hospitality training area.
Because of that, you can earn nationally recognized credentials from organizations such as:
- American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI)
- National Restaurant Association
- ServSafe®, which is the national standard in hospitality and culinary arts training and credentialing
- SERV Safe Food Handler
- SERV Safe Food Protection Manager
Many of our graduates also gain a state-issued license.
The requirements you need to start training:
- Complete the core Job Corps curriculum with passing scores on all written and performance tests.
- Meet basic academic requirements in math and reading.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Need help meeting one or more of these requirements? Don’t worry! At Philadelphia Job Corps, our staff will be with you every step of the way to make sure you have all the tools and resources you need to check those boxes and start your training.
Meet Your Instructors:
has been at Job Corps for over 6 years. She graduated from The Restaurant School and Walnut Hill College in 2008. She’s worked in restaurants, nursing homes, and hospitals over the past 15 years. She was drawn to Job Corps because she wanted to find a way to give back and help others.
When it comes time to get a job, our staff will make sure you are connected with local employers. Philadelphia Job Corps Culinary Arts grads have been hired by these featured companies and organizations:
- School District of Philadelphia
- Chickie & Pete’s
looking to hire workers with on-the-job training?